Age Minimum (with Adult): 1+, Minimum Age:11+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
MLK Jr. Day of Service
Our sixth annual Day of Service will be hosted at Glen Mar Church partnering with Ames Memorial UMC, St John Baptist Church, and Terps Against Hunger.
Join us for family-friendly short-term service activities for ages 5 to 105 that will make a positive difference in our community. There will be about 18 different on-site and a couple off-site activities. The activities help with food security, community development, public health, and support the morale of service members. The Day of Service offers individuals, families, and friends, the opportunity to serve together. We hope to attract over 1,400 people (last year’s attendance was 1,345) and package over 100,000 meals. We will also hold a blood drive with the American Red Cross. So, come for an hour or come for the day!
Planned Activities for 5 years old and up:
- Packaging meals for the hungry (Goal: 100,000 meals)
- Decorating cookies for inner city schoolteachers and childcare workers (Goal: 40 dozen cookies)
- Writing letters and drawing pictures for service members and others (Goal: 500 letters)
- Making no-sew fleece blankets for students and elderly (Goal: 45 blankets)
Planned Activities for 8 years old and up:
- Sewing pillowcases for people during a hospital stay and recovery (Goal: 150 pillowcases)
- Making jump ropes out of clean old T-shirts for school children (Goal: 200 jump ropes)
- Making fishing kits and pony bead kits for children (Goal: 200 fishing kits and 250 pony bead kits)
- Assembling health care kits for children (Goal: 100 health kits)
- Knitting for those recovering from an illness (Goal: starting 15 different pieces)
- Making Tic-Tac-Toe kits and flannel Teddy Bears for school children (400 kits and 200 bear patterns)
Planned Activities for Any Age:
- On-site food collection for the Sandtown community in Baltimore: non-perishable food items
- On-site gently used clothes collection for needy (Sandtown area): coats, hats, socks, gloves, and blankets
- On-site collection of gently used shoes for those in need of footwear: any size (Goal: 200 pairs of shoes)
- Health screening for 16 years old and up (BMI & blood pressure screening, & pre-diabetes risk assessment)
Planned Off-site Activities for 8th graders and up:
- Several all-day off-site activities (meet at church at 8:30 am, bring a bag lunch and two water bottles)
Note: To signup a volunteer that does not meet the minimum age only the minimum age with adult age, parents/adults need to create a team which includes themselves and the volunteer(s) that are under age. The parent/adult can then “sign up with a team” for the opportunity selecting the team members who will volunteer. Click here for more information related to Family & Youth Group Volunteers.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: