Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - January 20, 2020
On behalf of the organizers, partners and Volunteer Center Serving Howard County, Thank YOU for helping make Dr. Martin Luther, Jr. Day of Service 2020 a time of community involvement. The January 20th MLK Day of Service was a success! More than 418 volunteers engaged in over 1015 hours service as reported by 12 local organizations.
At the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission event projects included:
- 114 small crafts for seniors were created managed by the Columbia Art Center and Howard County Office on Aging and Independence
- 54 recipe cards were colorized for clients of the the Howard County Food Bank, supported by Community Action Council of Howard County
- $8,737 worth of coupons were clipped and sorted for military members overseas
- 1,400 diapers collected by Office of Children's Services
- Workshops and trainings offered free to the community:
- Hands Only CPR and Stop the Bleed trainings by Howard County Fire & Rescue
- I Can, I Will session by HopeWorks of Howard County
- Mens Discussion Group by HopeWorks of Howard County
Thank you to our volunteer photographer Divyesh Kumar.
Off-site opportunities included:
- Collecting and delivering more than 6000 pounds of food and diapers to the Howard County Food Bank, supported by Community Action Council of Howard County
- Restocking inventory at Chesapeake Restore
- Senior visits at Winter Growth
- Projects and opportunities managed by Glen Mar UMC details
- Meals served at Grassroots Day Resource Center
- Food & Diaper Drive Contest at Howard County High Schools for Howard County Food Bank (Collected 1,122 lbs)
- Robots built for training set, basic carpentry, Lego sorting, organized supplies and decorating for Universities Space Research Association
Thank you to our volunteer photographer Elijaih Tiggs.