Save the Date: January 20, 2020
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Day of Service
across Howard County
A county-wide Day of Service to honor Dr. King's life and legacy will take place as part of the Howard County Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission's annual celebration in partnership with the Volunteer Center Serving Howard County and community organizations across Howard County. Please check back for more information.
The January 21st Day of Service, in collaboration with the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission, was a success! More than 454 volunteers engaged in over 1091 hours service as reported by 14 local organizations.
At the Howard County Community Resource and Services Center projects included:
- 183 small crafts for seniors (fans, pencil jigglers and door ornaments) were created managed by the Columbia Art Center and Howard County Office on Aging and Independence.
- 107 recipe cards were colorized for Food Bank clients.
- $6333.43 worth of coupons were clipped and sorted for military members overseas.
- Workshops and trainings were offered free to the community:
- CPR/AED, Stop the Bleed, Fall Prevention by Howard County Fire & Rescue
- Fraud Awareness by Howard County Police Department
- I Can, I Will session by Hope Works of Howard County.
Off-site opportunities included:
- Collecting and delivering more than 6000 pounds of food and diapers to the Howard County Food Bank, supported by SAFE Foods and the Community Action Council of Howard County.
- Restocking inventory at Chesapeake Restore.
- Supporting Performing Arts Center for African Cultures event.
- Learning how to identify volunteer opportunities at VolunteerHoward.org.
- Projects and opportunities managed by Glen Mar UMC and AMES Memorial UMC.