Notes related to Teams interested in Disaster Service
Step 1: Register Team Leader
- Team leaders register as an individual volunteer on this site.
- Leader creates a team (see below).
- Leader Signs up for or Expresses Interest in an opportunity as a Team.
Step 2: Create a Volunteer Team
- Be sure you are logged in.
- Navigate to the My Teams page (select For Volunteers in the main menu, then My Account, then My Teams). Click on the Create New Team button.
- Complete the form adding team members and click the Create Team button.
- Use Team Description field to indicate your group size (under 10, under 25, over 25), type of group or affiliation, any special skills or experience you feel important to share.
- Each team member you will need either a unique email or a phone number (does not need to be unique). Age for minors is required.
- Larger groups initially do not need to enter all group members as long as you’ve indicated your group size. We understand the team composition may not have been firmed up. You may be asked to enter team members when being assigned to a specific task.
- Team members added using an email address will be sent an invitation to register as a volunteer with Volunteer Center Serving Howard County. They can then complete a skills profile if they want to share their skills. Team members do not need to be registered in order to serve on a volunteer team.
- Once your team has been created you will manage the team on the My Teams page.
Step 3: Express Interest/Sign Up
Now you're ready to register your team for a volunteer opportunity listed on our site. Find your opportunity then click the “Or express interest (signup) with a team” link at the bottom of the opportunity registration box. You will be prompted to select your team and then select the team members you want to sign up for the opportunity.
If you have a large team and have not signed up all team members, the Team Leader should Express Interest or Sign Up as a Team and select at least themselves for the team. The organization will then know you are part of a team and can get an idea of your team size from the team description. You may be asked to enter team members at a later date when being assigned to a specific task.
Learn about being a Volunteer Leader at one of our free Volunteer Leader trainings held several times a year. Click here for more information.